Monday, November 1, 2010

Lobster Status - Pt 2 The Day/Week of Recovery

So getting back from Heron was a bit of a bummer, we'd had a blast and it also meant that it was time to get back to school, woohoo! The first week flew by and we actually had our last class for Australian Marine Environments, apparently they realised that this was class that kids were basically taking for the cool trips and with them over, what was the point of further class? Anywho, like I said class was class but the big things I was looking forward to was a string of 3 good nights out, the usual Thursday night at a pub, King's Conclusion (themed Heaven and Hell), and lastly ICC Recovery.
Thursday night was a typical night out with the Cromwell folk. Dancing, drinking, ice cube fights broken up by security, all around good times ya know? Fuster and I hadn't initially planned on going to King's Conclusion because we'd assumed that it would be dominated by the all guy's colleges King's and Leo's. Then a couple of our friends informed us that this was the mentality of most of the other guys, thus producing a wonderful ratio of girls to guys. So we got tickets.
Good choice on our part, Conclusion was a blast! We dressed up as devils between the sheets (wore a bed sheet with devil horns) which not to brag too much was an awesome costume that required minimal effort. Can you guess who came up with the costume idea? :P In Heaven was a great band from St. John's while down in Hell lay the bar and a DJ bumping some dance tunes. Being the white boy that I am, I found myself much more at home rocking out in Heaven than on the dance floor in Hell. It started to rain a bit but by then most of us were having such a great time we didn't particularly care. The band ended their set before we were ready to go so we found our way back down to Hell which ended up being a good time as well. By the time they ran out of drinks and they started telling people to go home, the entire place was Mud City. Some crazy kids were literally slapping their shirts into the mud to make it splash for a good 5 minutes...
Got up earlyish the next morning to get ready for ICC Recovery which was themed Incredible Childhood Cartoon Heroes so Fuster and I went as Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble complete with plastic clubs. This was where the destruction of my epidermis begins. The weather for the past week had been cloudy/rainy so we weren't expecting Saturday to be any different. Wrong. It was gorgeous. Good thing right? Yes/No. Yeah for good weather, boo for stupid me forgetting sunscreen. Not til we had arrived at this golfcourse overlooking the Brisbane River and plopped down with our first beers did the thought occur to me that crap, I am screwed in this sun. Faced with inevitable sun burn I did the only thing I really could do, I pushed the thought aside and made sure I had a good time to make it worth it.
Apparently it is college tradition at Recovery events like these to put food coloring into your drink and then spit it on each other. The idea had naturally grossed us out when we first of it but we went in with the mentality that if someone should start doing it to us we'd of course have to return the favor. Enter the Dickinson females. Taylor and I were idly enjoying our drinks and some convo with some other Crommie folk when all of a sudden we were attacked by the Ninja Turtles! However, rather than their typical sais, bo staff, nunchuks, and katanas they came at us with colored goon! Sans any food coloring of our own the Flintstones duo was helpless against their onslaught.
Later though we managed to get our hands on some dye and then the battle was on. Next thing I know there is red, blue, and yellow beer and goon flying everywhere and we are covered head to toe in it. Moving past the slightly gross nature of the act, it was ridiculously fun! We ran into a couple of the other Dson guys and for the rest of the day sneak attacks occurred over and over again. Also available was a huge bounce castle with ginormous boxing gloves. Of course in order to maintain our manliness the guys had to duke it out. Thankfully with the aid of alcohol, large boxing gloves, and the general insanity of jumping around in a bouncy castle trying to box I was able to hold my own ground.
The entire event lasted about 6 hours and was an absolute blast. When we got back to Cromwell we promptly passed out and didn't wake up until 7:30. My first waking thought was oh man I am in soo much bloody pain. Taylor and I both got up and all I could do was stand there shaking muttering about how much pain I was in while all he could was stare at the lobster I had become. The pics I took of it didn't turn out particularly well and I can't say I'm too proud of the way I looked so I shant be putting them up.
I don't want to spend the rest of this post complaining about the pain caused by my own stupidity but just to put things in perspective, for the next four days my existence was basically made up of eating, sleeping, and watching South Park when I couldn't fall asleep. Though it made for a great excuse not to go to school! Within about a week, the pain was pretty much gone and I would ecstatically say to people, "Look what I can do!" whilst jumping around and waving my arms in circles. I was pretty darned happy to be able to move painfree let me tell you.
Anywho, enough writing, time for a couple pictures!

Me and my two ninja turtles, Megan and Maia at ICC Recovery
Fuster and I with a couple Crommie gals, Jamaica and Nacho at Conclusion

No comments:

Post a Comment